10.04.2011

spotify, and my feelings

So you may have noticed I haven't posted any posts about songs being great lately. Songs have not ceased to be great, I promise, but I have a new way of going about listening to them. No longer must I commit to downloading songs to listen to them nonstop. I can listen to whatever I want. I'm using spotify.

I like Spotify a lot. I do. I'm listening to St. Vincent right now, and I'm not sure whether I like her or not, but I can get a better sense for whether I do by listening to her whole new album than listening to a few one-minute simples of her most popular tracks. Which is what I would have otherwise done.

About a month ago I rediscovered Frightened Rabbit, and that rocked my world for a few weeks, and I would have told you all about it except
A) I was still on my blogging hiatus and
B) I didn't have to download any songs!
What would I have even done? Wrote a post saying "Hey guys, Frightened Rabbit is great, in general, and y'all should listen to them"? That seems like it makes less sense, for some reason, although I guess in the grand scheme of things the idea of posting the songs I'd downloaded didn't make a ton of sense either. At least it was concrete though.

So Spotify is great, but I sort of feel nostalgic for iTunes (which I do still use occasionally). I can still go back and see which songs I was downloading a year ago, which is exciting, but there will come a time when I can't do that, and that's going to be weird (although I suppose we'll always have Last.fm).

Love always,
Clara

No comments: