9.28.2011

the eight crazy strangers: number three

This man invented things.

Yet again, I was riding the metro, and this man sat down next to me. He had a big backpack, and asked me to hold something for him while he got himself organized. I am criminally polite. So he sat down, and obviously started making conversation.

Him: I like your toes! Did you do that yourself!?
Me: Oh... no, I got them done at an airport... in New Jersey.
Him: Oh! I thought you did that yourself! I thought, damn! I wonder if she'd paint MY toes!
Me: Um... Yep. Nope.

He then asked me about every one of my bracelets.

Him: I like that one! I like blue! Did you make that?
Me: Oh, no, it was a gift from my mom's friend.
Him: I thought you'd invented it!

In the name of politeness, I had to ask him about the one bracelet he was wearing, one of those rubber ones that we all used to have in eighth grade. It said something on it about living life to the fullest or something.

Him: This bracelet! This is the best! I have this with some of my friends - we invented this. Some guys want to get wasted and drink a lot of beer, and other guys like to drink wine, you know?! I have a friend, and he's a surfer guy, blonde hair, he's a California guy, and one day he was surfing and got bit by a shark! Took his leg off! Now he doesn't have a leg! So we all got these bracelets, to be like, live life! We invented this!

He then told me about his hat. He invented that too. It was blue. I am 100% certain that this man was high, but he might have been my favorite crazy stranger. He never asked for my number, but did tell me to listen to his radio show that's on "all day, all night" (There is never a time that this man is not on the radio).

I did try to listen. He must have been on his break.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: