9.21.2011

oh i don't wanna grow up

There's a career fair today and I kind of want to set it on fire. I ran into Michael and he'd come out with all of these ping pong balls, and I thought, "Well that looks like fun," but then I went in and it wasn't.

I realized, for one thing, that the only people I felt not-terrible speaking with were the nonprofits. They were all really nice. I grabbed a pamphlet from the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless (awkwardly acronym-ed RICH), and they were really friendly, as was the guy from City Year, which sounds like a pretty cool program, although any of that sort of thing is so far into the future that any thoughts I have right now are irrelevant.

Me: Okay, so I'm going to sign up for your mailing list, because this seems like a great program, and then I'm going to ignore your emails for the next year or so. And then start paying attention again later. Cool?
City Year Guy: At least you're honest!

Everyone else I talked to wanted to know whether I was an engineer or computer science major or nobel prize winner. There were no linguists waving flags. There were companies I'd never heard of, in great numbers. Abercrombie was there, inexplicably.

Last year, it felt like college was forever. We had four whole years of this! Woohoo! This year, it feels more like they're going to kick us out any minute, and it is stressing me out like no other. I only have five semesters left after this one? Only twenty more classes to pick? I refuse to acknowledge this reality.

Halfway around the room, I decided I needed to get out pronto. Near the door, Capital One had a table, talking about consulting or something. They were giving out sunglasses.

Obviously, I took the sunglasses and ran.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: