10.30.2008

Politicalisms

My history "homework" tonight is to read up on the election.
Hello, that's what I do to PROCRASTINATE.
So this is the first time in a while that I've actually thoroughly enjoyed doing history homework.

Yesterday John Casey came to talk to us. He wrote Spartina. He read to us from something else he wrote, The Half-life of Happiness.
He read about a little girl whose dad was running for Congress. The little girl hated it. She was 11.

My dad ran for governor when I was 5. I don't remember much of it. Parades and speeches. My parents going out all the time. My mom says that one day my dad went on a bike ride and I shouted out the door after him, "Don't forget to come back!"
She also says that I once called him "Uncle Don"
We didn't win. That was so fine by me. It meant I didn't have to move, although I wouldn't get to live in the pretty pink house (a.k.a. the governor's mansion).

The combination of the impending election and that reading made me think about that a little bit today. It's kind of weird to think that that happened. I was too little.

Another interesting political/familial thing:
Today Mr. Rich, the chorus man, made a reference to something not happening because the inauguration will be that weekend. I had an outburst of excitement, and quickly corrected it by saying "Well whatever happens, it will be exciting. It won't be Bush anymore"
I thought I'd avoided stepping on any toes (as if they don't know where my affiliations lie), until I realized that Dick Cheney's granddaughter was in the room...
Oh, freshmen.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: