10.17.2008

words and pictures: bonfire

My favorite part of homecoming: spirit day and the bonfire.
Absolutely amazing.


"Give me a P! Give me an O!"

There was a pep rally. The little kids cheered and whatnot, the Senior Athletic Committee dressed up as Tartans, and everyone was generally amused. The weird part is that our mascot isn't the Tartan (which I learned today is a scottish tribe), it's the Panther.

"Um, those are green. I don't think they're going to burn"

So then there was outdoor ed, in which we tried to build a fire but most thoroughly failed. I blame the sophomore kids who didn't know how to use a lighter and wouldn't listen to the Boy Scout. I've developed a general distrust in Boy Scouts, but when it comes to fire, they know what they're doing. Some one told me once that all they do on Boy Scout trips is set stuff on fire. Hearing that kind of made me want to BE a boy scout. More on that later.


"JUNIORS! KILL THEM! GO GO! WE'VE GOT CJ! RUN! ooooOOOOO"

The night began with the junior-senior powderpuff football game. We lost, which is not surprising, and we'll win next year by the sheer virtue of being seniors, but damn we played well. Or rather, I cheered well.
We looked so badass too. We had black shirts that said "CAUTION" on the front in taped yellow spray paint, and then with "X"s on the back. I totally came up with that actually, the Xs. It's because we're class of '10, and the roman numeral for 10 is X. 
And just the fact that X is a really badass letter.


"I'm freaking freezing"

There was food after the game and everyone put on as many layers as possible. It was cold. There was pizza. I was happy (even though i'm not supposed to eat pizza, for health reasons... whatever. It was warm and yummy).
Bands played. Not my favorite, the band formerly known as the Imaginary Friends, now called Fortune 500. I was disappointed, but they insist it was for the best. Regardless, some others played and they were pretty good for high school people, you know? I basically just chilled out. It was good.


"I love fire" "Ah, a woman after my own heart"

Then came the lighting of the fire. We outdoor ed kids actually built the little wood teepee that would ultimately be consumed in flames, so I had a particular sense of pride. I love watching fires. It's like they're alive. Tonight I actually said, out loud, "I love watching the sparks. They're like little bugs flying around, but they're glowing and made of fire"

"Lean on me, when you're not strong
I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on"

They started playing bonding-type songs and everyone just basked in the warmth of the love and the fire


"'cause I ain't no hollaback girl, I ain't no hollaback girl"

Then they put on crazy music, and yes, we danced.
Why is it that we will have lost this dancing enthusiasm by tomorrow night? No fair. I love this stuff.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: