3.11.2009

A moment when Clara talks about herself

... in a slightly self-pitying and overdramatic way, because she only has 30 more days of being a sixteen year old girl.

So I was walking to chorus today (or rather, to book fair before chorus. I got three books for a dollar. It's fantastic) and I saw a bunch of freshmen, guys and girls, playing soccer on the quad. And they were having so much fun and I thought (or rather, said, aloud but quietly, because [secret alert!] I talk to myself quite regularly), "My god, I wish I were a freshman".
Then I looked in the other direction and saw a super cool bunch of sophomores chilling by this really great tree. These particular sophomores already know how much I admire that- they've got it figured out. If you have a sweet tree and people to chill with under it, you're essentially set. And I saw them and thought/said "Or a sophomore"
And then I thought about everything and thought (really, this time), "or anyone other than myself".

I'm not sure where that came from.
Except that I sense a great deal of unhappiness within my grade around now. Lots of projects and things, heightened awareness of this schism between ourselves and the faculty, etc, are making us very frustrated.
Like, example, today at lunch we had a pretty spirited debate about the acceptability of confiscating hats on a free dress day.
The issue, I'm pretty sure, wasn't actually hat-taking but (at least in my mind) the whole concept that so much of our lives is at the whim of a small bunch of adults. If they tell us to do something, we don't have many options.

And so why would I rather be another junior as opposed to myself? I've yet to figure that one out. Maybe I'm just done with it for a while.
That thought pretty rapidly dissolved, actually, when my mom came home and told me about her riveting experience at the White House. At that point I thought, "Wow, my life really is pretty cool"

Regardless of anything, spring break cannot come soon enough. Two days. Two days. It's like, a mantra.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: