5.26.2011

milano

Oh my gosh what a day.
Mom and I have managed to do Italy in twelve hours. Our train pulled into Milano Centrale at 10:45, and between dropping off bags and shuffling home after dinner, we didn't stop once.

Mom met this marvelous italian girl named Isabella at a University of Richmond event in Bern, and called her up when we decided to stop here (on our way to Monaco... standard.) She met us at the train station and probably didn't stop talking for the next three hours (at which point she had to go back to her business school to give a presentation. I'm surprised her voice didn't give out). Isabella is one of those fantastically friendly people. It was marvelous.

The Swiss aren't like that at all. They're always polite, but they're rarely friendly.

Mom: Remember my friend [redacted]? She said to me, "I had to leave. I was too bubbly for Switzerland." And I was like, "You're not bubbly!" She wasn't even bubbly. But she was too bubbly for Switzerland.
Me: No one's ever too bubbly for America.
Mom: That's where they send the bubbly people.

I'd been getting cramped in that little country. Maybe I'd mistaken my claustrophobia for homesickness. It was nice to be in a big city with crowded squares and stylish people (Bern has none of these things).

Tomorrow, off to Monte Carlo. We will don sundresses and watch the cars go by and feel like we are in a Fitzgerald novel.

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

Um, jealous?

Mitch-Mash said...

Milan's got style, certainly, but you should deffffinitely try Florence! Thanks for listening :D