5.05.2011

other gender differences

That last post got me thinking about sexism and double standards and such.
I started thinking that way because I remembered that I do, at times, call my boobs "the girls," but generally I call them that only if someone else has called them that first.
Then I asked myself who on earth would be referring to them in such a manner.
The answer: Extended family.

It is astounding how many somewhat distant relatives thought it was completely acceptable to comment on my "developing body" during my middle school years.

"My, haven't you grown up!"
"Oh, you are certainly your mother's daughter!"
"Look at what these genes gave you!"

I was generally shy about it, and they would reassure me that a "developing body" was a great asset, as if my discomfort were with my boobs themselves and not the fact that they had somehow become open to frank conversation.
In retrospect, I don't know what one is meant to say to that kind of thing.

John: Guys don't get that at all. It's not like they come up to you and say "Oh wow, your penis has grown!"
Me: If they did, that would be a serious issue.

It would! And it's probably just as serious when it happens to girls! But it's more immediately physically obvious for girls, and because such qualities are in general considered attractive, people seem to think it's fair game.

Note: Next time you are around a thirteen year old girl, do not comment on her body at all because it will come out wrong.

This is the most times I have referenced my own physique in any two consecutive blog posts and it makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but I feel the need to enlighten everyone to the awkwardness of familial boob-comments.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

milf?