4.21.2010

things on facebook are so quickly taken out of context

... and I think it's funny.

Yesterday was pretty cool. I may go into further detail later, but for now I'll leave it at that.
Came home for dinner and mom was telling stories about her early days in journalism. She had a free radio show (i.e. they didn't pay her to do it), and she'd bring in these vaguely interesting people and interview them.
Which didn't always work out.

Once, she was interviewing a man who looked really nervous beforehand.
Guy: So, um, what kind of interview will this be?
Mom (joking): Oh, I'm just going to ask you if you still beat your wife!
Guy: *turns white* Those charges were dropped...
Mom: *feels awkward*

Apparently that's a completely true story, of which the moral is: don't joke about wife-beating?

Actually, this wasn't the only time wife-beating was a topic of discussion on Mom's show.
Once she interviewed a woman who had been abused, and had subsequently started some sort of foundation for battered women. According to my mother, she was a terrible person to interview in that she would give one word answers to everything, which isn't useful or interesting.
So my mother, fresh out of college, is frantically trying to come up with a question that will get her to talk, and she's thinking, "Who What When Where Why How?" because, of course, that is the journalist's mantra, and they repeat it to themselves a thousand times each night before they go to bed, because that's what journalists are like. Or maybe I made that part up.
Anyway.

Mom: So... How battered were you?

That's a true story. Mom asking sketchy questions about horrifying life experiences, on local television.
I think awkwardness is genetic.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

inkprincess said...

:D I'm trying not to laugh because everybody else in this house is already asleep, but anyway, this was really funny. I guess I like your Mom although I don't actually know her.