12.23.2010

i would not date my cousins, and that's okay

I went skiing today for the first time in way too long. And somehow I did not fall but once, when trying to stand on a flat surface. You know how hard that can be.

The drive to the mountain was interesting at best. My wonderful cousin Ian was talking about how his girlfriend's roommate had bought Christmas presents for her own boyfriend, but then they broke up, so Ian might be getting some Brooks Brothers shirts out of it. He was excited.

Shortly thereafter, my aunt Gail was telling me (for at least the fifth time in the last few days) about her son's friend who plays soccer at Providence College, whom she thinks I should meet, although he is, as she puts it, a "bad boy, very naughty."

Me: I mean honestly, he doesn't sound like my type. I don't tend to go for athletes.
Someone: Is that so? What is your type?
Me: Well, I don't tend to go for guys who get excited about Brooks Brothers either.

Suddenly everyone in the car was very offended and I can't quite place why. It's not like dating my cousin Ian was even on the table to begin with. I mean, please. If my mother had her way I'd be married to one of the stepcousins but they're very seriously not my type, and also they're my stepcousins, so while it's genetically alright... ew.

Anyway, then Gail said "Well maybe snobby girls aren't his type."
Excuse me?
Having preferences is snobby now?
I'm sorry that, given the option, I probably wouldn't jump at an opportunity to date guys like her sons. Her sons are great. I love all of my cousins dearly. But they're just not my type, and they wouldn't be, even if we weren't blood relatives (this is such a weird train of thought).

I'm not sure that this is a snobby thing. I'm almost thinking, actually, that it's terribly antifeminist to say so. Am I supposed to be just lying here waiting for someone to fancy me? I'd like to have a choice in these matters.

Although, maybe I was misunderstood. Maybe everyone thought I meant Brooks Brothers was passe, and I would only consider dating someone who wore exclusively Vineyard Vines.
(Is that even a better thing? Can they be compared? Let this be evidence as to how little I know about preppy menswear lines, and how proportionally little time I spend thinking about these things, with the exception of right now.)

It was all very strange.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: