12.05.2010

this chick is super cool


This is a cover of "Whip My Hair" and you should watch it.
I found it on Jezebel, which is where I find a lot of things.

The thing about Jezebel is that it's an incredibly politically correct place. Moreso than Brown, I would venture, and that's a big deal. So I read the comments on this particular post, and they're all mostly concerned with the possibility that this is emblematic of some larger cultural tendency to "whiten" things and display them and say "look how much better that is!" and it's all very racist indeed.

I have two thoughts on this:
1. People ought not be racist. And there definitely is a tendency to make "whiter" versions of songs by black people. And maybe that does say something about society, but the people involved aren't to blame necessarily. This girl didn't wake up and say "Hey, I could improve this Willow Smith song by making it sound white," she woke up and said "I like that song. I've got a voice that kills. I should do a cover."
Maybe she didn't say exactly that. I don't know. I don't think it's overall making things homogenous, I think it's having a different creative interpretation, and it's easy to strip a complicated song down to guitar chords and vocal harmonies.
2. I love Willow Smith's swagger, I do, but I can't help but acknowledge that this cover is more likely to wind up on my ipod and I sure hope that doesn't make me racist.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: