10.12.2009

Mom and I on the train

It's been a lot of family bonding this weekend/week.



Mom and I went shopping today. We're in francophone Switzerland and we're totally lost. Between the two of us we've got English, Spanish, and a working knowledge of German. Of course, everyone we try to speak to speaks French and Italian, basically the other two languages of continental Europe. So that's fun.

Mom: You know, I heard this quote attributed to Albert Einstein, but he was a native german speaker, so it doesn't make any sense
Me: What quote?
Mom: "Life is too short to learn German"
Me: That's like me saying "Oh, to hell with English, it's a stupid language anyway"

I think I have said that on occasion, actually.

Also, my uncle's mother died (I'm not sure what my uncle's mother is in relation to me, but it's sad nonetheless). This is really only worth mentioning because my mom found this out today (it was her sister's husband's mom) via e-mail. She does this thing where she takes a picture of me doing something and sends it to her siblings- I think it's the Irish family version of twitter.
So she sent my other aunt this picture of me sitting at the Stabucks in Vevey, looking kind of ridiculous and excited, because I tend to make really weird faces when she (or anyone else) tries to photograph me without my permission.
And so she sent this ridiculous photograph/caption:
(DISCLAIMER: I KNOW, I LOOK REALLY STUPID)

"[Uncle John]'s mother died this weekend"

She sent it, realized what a complete nonsequitor it was, and the two of us basically died.

Then I got the hiccups, we tried to get a chocolate croissant in a bakery, I couldn't deal with my hiccups, and I basically walked into a random Swiss man.

At this point mom and I were in hysterics. It was all just ridiculous.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Daphna said...

i actually ADORE this picture of you. something about it is kind of asian, or i don't know, but it makes you look like some really cute baby animal that's really confused by the human with the camera.