10.15.2009

Twice now, this has happened.

A song from when I was just a young thing (specifically, freshman year), which was once completely impossible to find, randomly approaches me on iTunes completely unprovoked.
The latest music binge:

Brilliant Daze (Days Are Confused Mix) - Magnatune Remixed
We Will Become Silhouettes - The Shins
Who Says - John Mayer
Another Travelin' Song - Bright Eyes
First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
Walking with a Ghost - Tegan and Sara
Hell - Tegan and Sara
Fifteen - Taylor Swift
Let's Just Fall In Love Again - Jason Castro
Party In the U.S.A. - Miley Cyrus
(by the way, there is a really cool remix of this song with Notorious B.I.G.. I twittered it, if you're super curious)

So, back to the insane blast-from-the-past moment. That first song, "Brilliant Daze", is from all the way back in the day when I loved loved loved Lonelygirl15, that youtube series about the girl on the run from a cult with her friends who are all in love with her.



This song was in a video about going hiking, and, just like the Katie Todd Band song, it spoke to me. This one speaks to me about love-
"We are the same but different, and it's brilliant, swim in my ocean sometimes, together but seperate, intertwining, love is so easy when you don't need the obvious things, i'll swim in your ocean sometimes, we've got tender hands but wild minds"
It seemed especially poetic at the time. That's how I think love should be. I don't know.

The song is a remix of a Lisa DeBenedictis song. Lisa DeBenedictis is unknown enough as it is, but finding a downloadable version of the remix was completely impossible until recently. I played the video over and over and scribbled the lyrics in the margins of my notes and did all the things I do when a song kidnaps me that way.
(It really is like kidnapping- when a song takes me I am its prisoner until it chooses to let me go. I don't get bored with songs, they get bored with me.)

Anyway, today I was on my little iTunes adventure and I was at a loss so I did what I tend to do sometimes- go to the "Genius" recommendations. You know, sometimes those are great and sometimes they're terrible and sometimes they're completely inexplicable. But right there, number 15 on my list of 15 recommended songs, is this.
I don't know what about my recent purchases even indicated that I was into this kind of thing.
But wow am I lucky.

I decided tonight that I am a frustrated artist. I need a means to express myself artistically. Blogging is pretty super awesome, don't get me wrong, but I have an urge to like, write cryptic and metaphorical poems on the sides of buildings just to make people think, so that they can escape their little boxes of spider webs.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: