6.28.2010

a story about my childhood

Let's talk about fifth grade.

In fifth grade, I was in Ms. Jackson's class. Ms. Jackson was great. She had us do cheers for people when they got answers right. She started us off with just a basic cheer (I think it was the sprinkler), and by the end of the year, we were a professional step team. That's a lie. But it could have been true.
Charlie, on the first day of school, trying to prove how too-cool he was, asked not to have a cheer. So, Ms. Jackson, brilliant woman that she was, declared,
"All right, let us have a moment of silence for Charlie" which sent us all into hysterics.

We got some kind of weekly grade on a 1-6 scale. A four meant you did everything fine and on time, and to get a five or a six you had to do some kind of extra credit. I wanted to get a six every week, because I was just that kind of nerd in fifth grade. My extra credit projects were always pretty cool though. I made a lot of videos.
This was back when, to make a video, you had to record it on a cassette, and to edit said video, it had to do with playing that cassette back onto the television, while recording a VHS tape. Seriously. Don't think about background music or titles or any of that. It wasn't happening.
I did a few of those, which were pretty chill, but what I was most excited about was the class newspaper, The Jackson Post.
I probably wrote half of it. I think writing an article counted as extra credit, going towards my six.

For some reason I'd forgotten about this, but I used to spend hours playing with Microsoft Publisher 2003, and days putting together short documentaries with that horrible camera.

And now, what do I do all day? Play with Microsoft Publisher 2007 (welcome to the future) and take photos with Turtle the DSLR.

My life has themes. And organic unity.
I'm liking it.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: