2.03.2011

dietary guidelines



I saw this video a few days ago and laughed out loud. It is also relevant to what I'm thinking about lately.

Right now, I'm eating Craisins and trying to do work in Faunce. I was reading the back of the bag (it's that or Trends and Indicators in the Changing Health Care Marketplace). I discovered two interesting things.
  1. The first ingredient is cranberries, and the second ingredient is sugar. There are also some other ingredients (pomegranate juice, elderberry juice, "natural flavor," the usual)
  2. It is somehow billed as a healthy food.
Is something allowed to be called healthy if the second ingredient is sugar? They even have a little box on the back saying
"A 1/3 cup serving of Craisins Dried Cranberries = 1 full serving of fruit.
Diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer and other chronic diseases."
"Eat Craisins, and sugar, or you will probably get cancer."
I just find all of this so ridiculous. If you want to eat fruit and be healthy, eat fruit and be healthy. Do that. It's a good thing to do. If you want Craisins, eat Craisins. They're yummy. But I'm pretty sure they're not going to cure your cancer.

I am inclined to blame Americans as a general group for this kind of thing. Also, corporations. Somehow I think corporations are involved, just because it's easy to see something questionable and say "Aha! The corporations!" and people will generally believe you.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

That video is supposed to play in front of every fridge in this world. Maybe it would help.