2.02.2011

interesting conversations

I bought properly waterproof shoes and now I am no longer in a bad mood. This is a good thing in and of itself, and also because I wanted to blog about the very interesting conversations I found myself involved in last night.
I'm trying to remember how it started. We were at Tea in Sahara (yes, yet again), and someone brought up religion, or philosophy, or something, I think.

Me: See, I like to have faith in something. Sometimes I imagine that before I was born, I sat down and planned out my life. So whatever happens to me, I already chose it. I don't actually believe it of course, but it's an interesting thought experiment.
Andrew: That's not a thought experiment, it's Calvinism for control freaks.
Me: Well yeah. If there's determinism, I want to be in charge.

On the walk back to campus, things took a turn for the more philosophical. We got on the topic of life-purposes and the potential of humanity (thanks, Benny). It's hard to talk about these things without sinking back into the smugness that had dominated the earlier night's conversation, but we did our best.
It turned out that the walk back to Keeney wasn't long enough for our trains of thought, so then we went to Faunce and hung out in that glass room above the arch where you can see the people walking by.

I'd describe it in more detail but honestly, I couldn't do it justice.
It was a very good conversation though. I'd say it was an infinitesimally small step towards the things that will potentially lead to things we've assumed to be good things.

This is all so inarticulate. I really wish I could be more articulate.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: