2.25.2011

we interrupt this broadcast

Can one of my parents explain to me why sitting on the floor reading We Interrupt this Broadcast is one of my most fond memories of elementary school?
For those who aren't familiar, that's a book and CD set describing the national tragedies of the last eighty years. Or, I guess not all of them are tragedies. Truman defeating Dewey was in there too, which wasn't tragic so much as surprising. It starts with the Hindenburg though, and I'm pretty sure one of the closing stories is about Columbine.
I seem to remember this book being a gift to someone. It might have been a gift to me, but I couldn't have been older than eight (I remember sitting in the living room in our old house, and I moved for the first time in third grade). Who gives an eight year old a book about radio sensationalism and bombs?

I'm trying to figure this out. Sometimes I wonder in general what my parents were doing with their lives while I was thinking about the Hindenburg all the damn time. Not that I'm bitter. I did say that this was one of my fonder memories.

It may have been one of those attempts to provide Clara with educational material that's over her head. I also had an anatomy coloring book that may or may not have been intended for med students.

Well. In any case, I guess the point of this post is that I had a weird childhood. No regrets though.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: