2.28.2011

oscar night

Did you know that if you go to Au Bon Pain within an hour of its closing time, baked goods are half price?
I know that now. It made my evening.

As everyone in the world knows, the Oscars were tonight. I was glad that The King's Speech won things because I've seen it and it makes me feel like I'm culturally aware. Also I liked that movie, although I like almost every movie I see.

I've spent a disproportionate amount of this day trying to determine whether there are fundamental truths about myself (and, of course, by extension, other people, because everyone is a real person, as I have discovered). A part of me is inclined to take a quasi-Nietzschean perspective and say that nothing exists a priori, and that I can exercise my will to power to decide what I might or might not be. Another part of me looks at the above paragraph (regarding my general enjoyment of movies). I feel like this does reflect some aspect of my personality, and while I could potentially exercise my will to power in order to become a more critical moviegoer, I don't think it would come naturally and I don't see much value in that at the moment, so what's the point?
Why do some things come more naturally than others? Why am I inclined to like most movies I see? Why is Lucas more discerning when it comes to Ratty food than most people? Are these choices we've subconsciously made or inherent facets of our being?

I miss my philosophy class. Being able to think about this kind of thing in the context of a liberal education made me feel less like a lunatic and more like a scholar.

Anyway, I'm glad The King's Speech won.

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

James said...

Existence precedes essence!!!!!

E said...

I totally felt the same way about King's Speech winning. How enlightened of us to have chosen the Best Picture to view!