2.17.2011

syntactic cheekiness

I fell asleep in the SciLi today. It wasn't good for a number of reasons (speaking of, those chairs in the back that look like amoebae are not too comfortable) but the greatest of which is probably that I slept through the first twenty minutes of Syntax class.

Me: Hi! I'm here. Sorry. I fell asleep in the SciLi. It was not a good plan.
Pauly-J: That's not a good place to get a good night's sleep!

Because I was in that familiar post nap haze (in combination with the daunting pre-migraine absurdism), I was in a particularly punchy mood today.

Pauly-J: What language is this similar to?
Me: Well... it has some things in common with German.
Pauly-J: It's just like German!

Benny gave me a very disapproving look at this point, the reason for which is unclear. I started to giggle because I didn't know what else to do (and when a giggle is coming, I can't stop it. That's actually been a theme today. Too much giggling, not enough giggle-oriented-restraint.)

Pauly-J: What just happened over there?
Me: Oh, nothing. Benny just gave me a look.
Benny: What?
Me: Yeah. And I'm calling you out on it. What.
Pauly-J: Okay... I'm not sure I want to know.

I was also in the mood to mumble to myself today. That's generally okay in bigger classes, because I can make an aside to someone next to me and do so without disrupting the flow of class. In a small seminar though, it can be problematic.

Pauly-J: So in Icelandic, some words have case variation in their subjects, such as the word for "lack".
Girl: Doesn't that cause ambiguity?
Pauly-J: Well, not really, because usually the subject of "lack" is something animate, and the object is not.
Girl: Not necessarily. You could say "The soup lacks salt."
Me: I bet they drink a lot of soup in Iceland.

There was no reason to say that. And yet... words. Coming out of my mouth.
Simply inexplicable.

At this point I knew I was in a pre-migraine mood. I popped a couple advil when I got back to the room, which seems to have helped. I'm getting the watery-eyes thing, but the full on headache seems to have backed off a bit. When the weather stops changing I'll know I'm safe.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: