4.21.2011

sophomore

Mr. Cox once told us that the word "sophomore" comes from the greek words for "wise" and "fool". That sounds about right. I really don't know what to make of the whole idea of a second year of college in which one must decide what one is to be studying.
This is relevant because I preregistered for next semester this morning.

At the moment, I'm signed up for (or planning to sign up for):

  • CLPS0610, Children's Thinking, because I am considering being a psych major, and I want to be able to go home and psychoanalyze little baby Ava.
  • ANTH0300, Culture and Health, because it sounded interesting. That's really my only rationale.
  • ENGN0090, Management of Industrial and Nonprofit Organizations, because I've heard it's a fantastic class, people are obsessed with the professor, and knowing how to run a business just seems like a practical skill to have*.
  • HIST1460, History of the Modern Middle East, because someone told me this weekend that the professor is great, and it seems like one of those classes that helps you read the newspaper.
  • VISA0100, Studio Foundations, because I want to be artsy, damn it (I'm in the lottery, so that might not happen, but I'm hoping it will).
  • ITALXXXX, Italian of some kind, because I don't want to lose the italian that I learn this summer.

So, that's a lot of classes. This is the first semester that I've really gotten to take advantage of the fact that I know people who have taken certain classes and can ask them whether they're worthwhile. My mom used to say that she would just follow the good professors around, and that seems like a solid strategy.

Anyway, who knows what I'll actually end up taking. I didn't fully expect to find myself in Syntax this semester, and yet, that is where I will be in an hour, and I have not yet taken that nap... I should do that now.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: