4.07.2011

the world in front of me

So, a couple days ago, David sent a fax. I was standing in the mail room waiting for a package and I looked down at the names of the people who had sent faxes that day, and David's name was on the list, and I want to know why.
Not because David sending faxes concerns me in the slightest. It is of absolutely no consequence to me what this fax contained, or to whom it was sent.
I just want to know.

Do you ever get the feeling that there is just so much happening in the world that we don't see? Every once in a while it occurs to me that this morning, someone in Denmark probably dropped their toothbrush into the sink, and at least one truck driver is on the road at this very moment, and maybe he's hungry for lunch, and even the people I know do things that I don't know about and have no reason to know about, like sending faxes.

If we split the facts about the world into the ones that I know and the ones that I don't know, the ratio is 1:19204839032847289.

It's a little unnerving.

I think this thought has come about more often as I've gotten older. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my family lives in two parts of the globe, and I am in neither of them at the moment. When I was younger, all of the things that might concern me were right in front of me. Now everything's all over the place.

Love always,
Clara