7.11.2009

Thoughts on advertising

I'm being a total loser, and at this point, enjoying it.

Earlier today I was frustrated with my lack of anything to do.
Now I'm watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on abc family.
And thoroughly enjoying it.

I've been going through a Harry Potter *moment* lately anyways. Probably because the movie is coming out soon. I've been wanting to re-read the last one.
I read it when it first came out (in approximately 24 hours, by the way) but feel like refreshing my memory.
Oh dear, I'm sounding like a huge dork.

FACT.

Also, some thoughts on advertisements:
  • Orkin has an ad that suggests that cockroaches, failing to crawl into your home, will grow to human size and try to sell you pizza. Or the head of marketing is Gregor Samsa's father.
  • I'm really annoyed that they're making a show of 10 things I hate about you. First of all, the movie came out like, ten years ago or something. Second of all, the movie was based on SHAKESPEARE. You can't write an add-on to Shakespeare. It's like saying, "Oh and here's what also happened in The Taming of the Shrew that the bard didn't mention"
  • So there's this lady chameleon putting mood-scents in for family movie night. Something about that just strikes me as really creepy. Thanks, AirWick
  • I like how much makeup marketing relies on semiscientific claims. It seems to be one of the only areas where science and cosmetics merge.
  • If you eat skittles from your friend's skittle-filled houglass, it speeds up time. Proving once and for all that Skittles have magical properties.
  • Dairy Queen now has a Girl-Scout-Cookie-Blizzard. Not half as charming as the real thing.
  • College dorm rooms always look absurdly nice in commercials. It's such a joke.
  • This wart-freeze ad just made me afraid to ever give another high five ever again.
  • In San Francisco, there's this ad on the wall in the BART station from comcast. It says, "CHECK OUT OUR PACKAGE. You know you want to"
  • Alexa Vega of Spy Kids fame is now in "Ruby and the Rockits," a show which I suddenly want to see, simply because I loved her in Spy Kids. She was so cool.
  • A State Farm ad wants you to know that however you're surprised, by bumping into someone or having a baby, they're ready. Is the baby really so surprising?
  • T Mobile learned that people don't like economists, but they do like hot women. They're a little slow on that one.
Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Katie said...

Reading this, I have so many comments. I was about to quote the lines I loved, but I realized that would just get long and annoying. Anyway, awesome blog.