7.24.2009

My Dad's side...

There was a family barbeque-type-gathering tonight. My cousin Zach is engaged, and it was my grandfather's girlfriend's birthday, and my dad was confirmed, so they figured they'd throw a little party.

My aunt Kathy never fails to crack me up.

Zach: You haven't forgotten your favorite nephew scuttlebutt?
Kathy: Ohh! *smacks him*
Zach: Did Kathy just smack my ass?
Kathy: That was a terrible thing to say! Scuttlebutt....
Zach: ... that was a new experience...

Jordy told this hilarious story involving himself going on vacation with friends who think they know french. Apparently they were trying to go out to a club or something, and they were asking the owner (on the phone) if it was open. Except the owner spoke french. And my cousin Jordy does not. So Jordy's friend says "Oh, give me the phone, I speak french."
Jordy: Okay here
Friend: *assumes french accent* Halloooooo? Are you open?
Jordy and other friend: *laughter*
Friend: You guys, I'm on the phone! Shut up! HALLOOO?

I'm glad I'm at the point where the older family members no longer feel the need to censor themselves around me. It used to be that I'd walk into an interesting conversation and everyone would stop and be like "Oh Clara, how's school? Still smart like your dad?" at which point I'd have to say "um... I guess so..."
But I'd want to say "I suppose... But I'm definitely smart enough to participate in the non-condescending conversation you were just having. So carry on"

Now they get it, and if the conversation must turn towards me they just ask me about college plans (or now, moving). Which, as I'm sure you all know, gets old fast.

Oh well. They're a fun bunch. Cousins are great all around. And I have so damn many of them :)

Love always,
Clara

No comments: