7.30.2009

New novel idea!

Or rather, an announcement that I've completely scrapped the other one. And I'm going back to an interesting idea I had during latin trip.
Taylor and Tom and Eric and James were talking about apocalyptic scenarios. And someone asked, "What if there were a giant meteor heading toward earth, and we knew about it, and there was nothing at all that we could do to stop it?"
And Taylor, I believe, ever the logical man, said that the world's governments would probably distribute cyanide pills and hope for the best.
And I had this idea- What if that happened, but the meteor never hit? And suddenly most everyone is dead but the world is still fine? What would happen to the survivors?

Meet my 2009 NaNoWriMo Novel.

Anyway, this is going to have this sort of wonderful absurdist tone.
One of the ways I get my characters straightened out is make them do myspace surveys, the ones that are like "What's your name? What's your birthday? What's your favorite movie? What color is your underwear?" etc. One just asked Olive (my main character) what the last movie she watched was. She answered:
"haha we watched 'I Am Legend' the other night to count our blessings. there are no zombies here"
If that gives you any indication as to what kind of book this'll be.

In other completely unrelated news, the people come for my items tomorrow. What the heck. I feel like I'm in that holocaust quote- (First they came for the books, and I did not speak out-- because I was not reading those books. Then they came for the clothes, and I did not speak out--)
Except not at all.
There is still a profound sense of loss here. Despite the fact that I'll get some of the items back when I arrive. And I'll get the others in... October.
Yeah. Moving overseas is really fun.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Katie said...

Brilliant insights of the sleep-deprived latin kids are probably the best source of NaNoWriMo ideas.