7.23.2009

Star Tripping

Last night at the picnic that was supposed to be bowling, Nick taught us a fun game.
I am going to describe it now.
Keep in mind that none of us were on crack while doing this. We looked like we were, we felt like we were, but we were not.

On with the game.

Basically, its a game you have to play outside at night, preferably when the stars are visible. You go into a grassy area and spin around, looking up at the stars (which is hard to do)
Then someone shines a light in your face and you fall over.

It's really funny.
I don't know why.

Something about spinning is really... interesting. There's the fact that it makes you dizzy, what with the fluid in your inner ear going mad, and that makes sense to me, but what I find weird is how things look. Like, our eyes tend to hold on to one image for as long as possible. So when I was looking at the stars last night, they looked like they were jumping.
This is hard to explain.
But basically it was like they would stand still for a bit, and then spin a lot, quickly, to compensate for the amount I'd moved while my eyes were standing still.

Why can't our eyes spin to rotate our vision? Can any animal do that? See upside-down at will? Would that be a useful ability?
Why do I have so many questions about eyes?

Okay I'm a huge nerd. Ignore me.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: