7.26.2009

Stirring up dust... and memories

The room-purge continues.
I've discovered I keep a lot of things without any good reason.
Except nostalgia.
Which is actually a pretty bad reason. Because when I stumble on these things that I've kept for the sake of nostalgia, I feel... nostalgic. And that's really not such a great feeling.

Example- Old CTY notebooks. I'm actually bringing those with me. For nostalgia's sake. Why do I put myself through that? No idea.
Another example- I still had my school planner from every year of high school (you know, so far). And I realized I could go back and see what kind of distracted mood I was in by looking through the pages. Like
  • "Hm, in December 2006 I was sort of alone-feeling and out of it... those are dark scribbles"
  • "Oh, in May of 2007, I was really happy! Look at those flowers everywhere!"
  • "And September 2007 was like, a weird angsty month"
  • "Oh hey, all of the novembers have stick figures all over them. Must be my novel characters!"
So that's pretty weird.
Also, I had my old Model Congress binders and notebooks. I have no idea why I kept those. It's not like I even have that strong emotional ties to Model Congress. I just enjoy it.
I do know that I kept this year's PMC notebook for the incredible doodle I did during the keynote speech. I was listening, I swear, but I pay better attention when my hands are kept busy.

I haven't even begun to pack/sort/purge my closet. That's going to be the hardest part. I have this mindset that perhaps, one day, I'll want to wear that awkwardly-cut-green-shirt-from-freshman-year and I'll be so upset that I gave it away.
I need to lose that mindset. Now.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: