9.13.2010

all over the place

I have been busy basically all day. I can never decide whether I love that feeling or hate it. It's like working out - exhausting while you're at it, but pretty awesome when you're done.
I'm basically done now. The only thing left on the agenda is to watch Gossip Girl, which isn't exactly the most stressful of my daily activities.

Let me recount this for you.

On monday and wednesday mornings, I have three classes in a row- 9 AM Economics, 10 AM Philosophy, and 11 AM Modern Culture and Media. Somehow last night it didn't fully occur to me that it was a sunday and that I should probably go to bed before 2 AM, so getting up was an adventure in itself. I decided that I absolutely without question needed coffee this morning.
Now, the coffee in the Ratty is questionable at best, and the Blue Room always has this ridiculous line, so I decided I would utilize an oft-forgotten resource: the Campus Market. I'd seen coffee maker machines there, so it seemed like a safe way to avoid the morning rush and still get my fix.
So I show up, and I'm the only one there, because literally no one goes to this place. And I'm in this weird brain-dead state, just blinking at the coffee machines, trying to figure out how to persuade them into giving me the caffeine that I so desperately need. And finally I just ask the guy at the desk how they work.
So he comes over, and blinks at them too, and says, "Oh, I guess they're not working right now."

At this point, I died.

So I stumble out of there with a Snapple tea (maybe there's some caffeine in there? I had too much pride to go for the 9AM red bull) and a little bag of Welch's fruit snacks. And I sit there for a moment vowing never to go back to this cursed market again, unless I really feel like buying a microwavable vegan burrito. Which might happen, actually.

Anyway, so then I had my three-class whirlwind, which was no more or less insane than usual. I wandered into the Ratty alone for lunch, which is inherently dangerous, but ran into this kid who I can only assume is in my unit, whose name I must have learned at some point. The problem is that we've hung out too much for me to ask his name now. Hopefully it will come to me, or I'll hear someone refer to him in the third person.

After lunch was my one break, during which I bought a couple posters for the room and finished my econ homework. Then I had econ section at 3, which I had expected to last an hour, but the TA seemed baffled by all of these faces looking at him expecting him to say something, so we all just handed in our homework and left after fifteen minutes of awkward silence.

Then another short break, then my unit had some kind of gathering including Meeting St. Cookies, so I had to check that out, but I also had to leave early because I was planning on going over to the Women's Center to phone-bank for Theresa Tanzi, who's running for State Representative in Rhode Island. I let it slip that I did my first phone banking when I was twelve. That's always a fun story to tell.

(It was 2003, I was in sixth grade, and Howard Dean was running for the Democratic nomination. Dad's idea of family time with the daughters often involved bringing us to work with him, but at least at the Dean headquarters I could make myself useful. The uncontested highlight was our Iowa caucus slumber party, which was also the first time I've ever stayed up all night. Dad was supposed to bring me home at some point, but I wanted to stay and Mom wasn't there to make me go home. We called people all night, adjusting our phone lists to the time zones. I called people in Hawaii. This has been a very long parenthetical.)

We had pizza there, and I learned about the Students for Choice group, which sounds pretty interesting. Then I had to peace out and get my mail and go to the Blog Daily Herald information session, because I'm a blogger at heart and need to take my inner monologue a little more public. That was a fun time, and now I'm back in my room blogging and trying to write an article for the BlogDH, and (un)surprisingly one is far easier than the other.

And in 24 minutes, Gossip Girl will be on.
Hell yes.

I'm going to sleep well tonight. That's all I have to say.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: