9.28.2010

snap back to reality

I've been at college for a month, as of today.
Holy crap.
This seems like an apt time to think about impressions.

I was talking to David a while ago and he said something interesting. He'd just gotten to Princeton, and he said, "I guess I'd assumed that I'd show up to school, make a few great friends immediately, love all my classes, and never have any drama ever." It hadn't been the case.

Now, I won't say I made that assumption. Actually, before I got here, I was pretty sure (irrationally) that I wasn't going to find any friends at all.

So, neither of those assumptions were true. I've encountered dramas. Several times, mostly in my own head, which is the worst kind. I seem to have friends, and even Sam now understands what I meant when I said (around this time last year), "I'm not sure if I have friends, but I have good acquaintances who seem to enjoy my company, and I enjoy theirs as well".
And there have been times when I've wondered, "Why the hell am I taking Modern Culture and Media?" or nearly shouted at my econ section leader for not making sense.
Shit isn't necessarily easy, but it isn't horrible by any standard.

So reality is an interesting thing. My mom attributes this quote to Barack Obama: "Nothing is ever as good or as bad as you expect it to be" (Or something like that. I can't find it on the internet in less than 20 seconds, so it's not really worth investigating further). That pretty much describes it here.

That said, I'm exhausted right now, because Cameron decided it was necessary to come over and tell me my facebook status was irrelevant to him (no kidding), and obviously he can't handle me, so I had to handle that situation. Crazy kids these days.
... So I probably need to sleep or something.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: