9.17.2010

clara beyer, gym rat

That's a gross overstatement. I'm that kid who does 45 minutes on the elliptical and nothing else.
But still.
I've been going to the gym, voluntarily, maybe twice a week. On a fairly regular basis.
And, more shocking, I've been enjoying it. I get excited. I've got a workout mix on my ipod.
Who am I? What has this new person done with the normal Clara that everyone had gotten used to?

I have a theory regarding this.

An interesting fact that I had not truly acknowledged is that in college, you're rarely alone. There are always people. So when I'm working out, although other people are in the room, I've got my headphones in and I'm in my own head. (Basically going to the gym is a better way to fulfill my antisocial desires than, for example, wandering around Keeney at two AM on a saturday night, singing songs to myself. That would be an example of "coping badly")

It sort of serves the same purpose as driving around with Zola. I actually plan to have some kind of commute when I enter the working world, because I need 20 minutes here and there to sit in my car or on the tram or something and just chill out.
I don't commute anywhere here (which is great) so I need some kind of designated-not-thinking-or-being-around-other-people-period.

Also, only some people will know what I mean by this, but I feel like I have a lot more energy lately. Not in terms of sleep - I'm definitely not getting enough of that - but in terms of like... vitality. Or something. I don't know.

The reason I bring all of this up is that I just got back from the gym, actually, and it was intense because my evil ipod decided to only play fast songs from my workout mix until like, the very end. I was sprinting like crazy.
So essentially, I'm all hyped up on brain chemicals. No complaints here.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: