9.30.2010

varying degrees of trouble with english

I went to Jo's with Hannah and John tonight. We were talking about one of John's friends whose English language skills could probably be described as sub-par.

John: So her facebook status... this one time... was... "I have so many shits in my head!"
Hannah and I: *death by laughter*
Me: All my friends, in America at least, are pretty good at english. But this one time my friend Sam facebookchatted me, and he was like, "don't you hate it when people don't use the subjunctive where they're supposed to?" and I was like "oh yeah, are you stalking Natasha too?"

Same concept, but not nearly as funny. Natasha had said something like "I wish it was the weekend."

By the way, can we talk for one moment about the term "sub-par"? Because the most common field in which to hear the term "par" used is golf, and when you're playing golf, being below the par (i.e. sub-par) is actually better. So why does "sub-par" mean bad? Why doesn't "super-par" mean bad?
I guess people are so used to "super" meaning "AWESOME! SUPERHEROES!" to think of "super par" as anything other than "exceptionally average"

Love always,
Clara

No comments: