1.20.2011

alpha-women and my topless photo

There was an article in the Financial Times today about how Alpha-women tend to marry Alpha-males, and then the Alpha-men get their careers put first, and that's why there aren't enough female CEOs. The moral of the story was that if you want to be a CEO, marry a man who doesn't care about his job. The implication was that such men are weaker or something.

I think this is crap. I don't want to end up marrying someone less ambitious than I am. Although I don't want to be a CEO either. I'm thinking right now of being a psychologist, or memoirist, or hobo in a box.

Or maybe a combo.

Mom said that she felt like that too, and that she sees herself as the Alpha-woman who had to stay home with the children.

Mom: I'm not bitter about it though, because I got to be with you kids.
Me: And we're pretty cool. Especially me.
Mom: Well where do you think you got it?

Mother and I are also huge narcissists. I think I got that from her too.

We had drinks with a family friend tonight. It is when we are doing these kinds of things that everyone's weird sense of humor comes out. I was telling her about my blogging, and the fact that a google for "ipad boobs" results in a link to this very place.

Me: Well, it's because of this conversation I had with David.
Dad: So it's not because of that topless picture of you holding an iPad?
Me: Oh that might have something to do with it too.
Friend: Don't shock your parents!
Me: Too late.
...
Dad: Since you've been home, I've had this postmodern existential awareness of the things I say and how they might be represented on your blog. It's interesting.

This is why I have a whole tag about my family being weird. It really suits them.

Love always,
Clara

P.S. I bet you were anticipating a topless photo. Or at least some reference to a real topless photo. No luck. Sorry.

2 comments:

B.H.E. Becker said...

ill bet you $1 or 6 saltine crackers that this post would royally disappoint stephan

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

This is a great post. As simply as that :).