1.16.2011

ballin'

I'm back from Austria. I had planned on blogging while I was there, but we were pretty busy-slash-hungover most of the time so that didn't happen. Apologies.
Now I'm home.

The balls were fun. Friday night was the Blumenball, the ball thrown by the flower growers. There were a lot of flowers there.
That ball was great for people-watching. There were some very good dresses and some very bad dresses and a girl with multicolored dreadlocks. There was also a very awkward disco that reminded me of Andrew's Bar Mitzvah (hey Potomac kids, you still remember that right?) because of the generational dynamics and the architecture of the room.
Although this one had real cocktails, which was a plus.

Saturday night was the Wirkschaft Universitat ball, so the crowd was slightly younger (for those of you who don't spreche Deutch, that's the business school). It was very fun.
The thing about the Viennese Waltz is that there is a lot of spinning involved and it makes one very dizzy. The thing about being a girl though is that you're not expected to lead the dancing, just hold on and keep step. That's nice once you get the hang of it.
There was a Quadrille at midnight, which is something like an Austrian squaredance. That's fun, unless you've been standing in heels for the last four hours and the room is too crowded and people are stepping on your feet.
Well, even then, it's pretty fun.

I'm a big fan of balls, I've decided, although I'm not sure I'd have the stamina for the Austrian ball season. They have around three hundred balls between the new year and Lent.
I went to two and I'm exhausted.

Love always,
Clara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's Wirtschaft** ;)

James said...

"I'm a big fan of balls, I've decided" that's the sentence i ended up looking at when i scrolled down

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

In the films of the Jane Austen novels, I especially like ball scenes. I really wish I could have been there at one or two.

Grace said...

You're clearly the one you were addressing when you were typing to the people who can't speak 'deutch'. It's spelled deutsch.