1.31.2011

meta-smugness

Yesterday, I had probably the most quintessentially Brown experience yet.
During my post- meeting, I got a text from Andrew saying that people were going to Tea in Sahara, the wonderful cafe/hookah bar that I've spent way too much time at in the past week. So when the meeting ended I called Benny and he and I walked over and met the bunch of them over there. A game of Monopoly was in progress, of course, and at the other end of the table there was a discussion of the relative merits of monotheism vs. polytheism.

Me: Who's winning?
Andrew: John.
Me: Again? Damn. Why is he good at Monopoly?
Ken: I question the moral values of anyone who is good at Monopoly.

Ken would describe himself as a communist.

A while later, the conversation then migrated to how to best run a country. We were all at a loss as to how to successfully establish a fair meritocracy. I'm of the opinion that rule by an intellectual elite would probably have the best outcome, but it would never fly in this country.
People really should want their Congressman to be smarter than they are, though.
At this point, the Monopoly game had ended, and Scott and Audrey had started a game of chess. Then we started talking about what a diverse group of people we were. And it occurred to us that we were sitting in a cafe, smoking hookah, discussing how we would run a country, while playing chess.
Then we started discussing our own smugness.

Only at Brown.

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

This makes me wish I was there, too.

Katie said...

And I spent dinner talking about running injuries, the upcoming meet, and what happened at Eve's birthday party Saturday night...
I don't think that's as indicative of Yale kids as it is of varsity runners.
Brown, you win smugness for now. :)