3.09.2010

music is the best medicine

I'm feeling better than I was feeling yesterday, which was better than I was feeling on sunday, so tomorrow I should be totally fine.
That's the plan. I can't be sure my body will cooperate. A tragic nap set me back in the health-feeling department. Naps always make me feel sick. It's really frustrating. I would much prefer that they make me feel better; that would be more intuitive. But no. I wake up from a nap, not refreshed, but feeling quite ill.
Not sure what that's about.

Also, I've become really frustrated by a lot of random things lately. I think it has to do with being sick.
But I've discovered something: I'd rather be the only one who likes my taste in music than have everyone freaking out over Florence + the Machine and being a member of that crowd. I see you guys on facebook, liking each other's song-lyric statuses, and I'm a perpetrator, I participate, all of it, but I resent it. I'd rather think that I'm the only one who really feels the lyrics of "Elevator Love Letter" than be in some kind of corny fan club.
For a while my music taste was something that set me apart, in my mind, and I'm discovering that's not the case really, and it's frustrating. When listening to whatever was on the radio was cool, I was not. Now, indie music is cool... but I don't feel cooler for it? I feel like my pre-existing inherent coolness has been eroded by the masses! You kids get off my experimental (probably canadian) musical lawn!
The worst is that I think it's okay for some people to like "my" music, but not okay for others. Only the people who seem like they authentically shared my taste to begin with (at least a year ago, guys) are "worthy" of it to begin with. And those people are a little intimidating, and I'm afraid I come off as trend-seeking to them.

Question: When did I get so pretentious?
Answer: No idea. But I'm probably destined to be a hipster or something. Hm.

I just downloaded a bunch of music though. I feel like it had been a while since I'd done this, so that's refreshing in its own way.

Scenic World - Beirut
Jezebel - Iron and Wine
With Whiskey - Tunng
Hurricane Drunk - Florence + the Machine
Hustle - Tunng
Lovesong of the Buzzard - Iron and Wine
Collect Call - Metric
The Twist - Metric
Crystalised - The XX
California - Rogue Wave

I realized just after purchasing Scenic World that I already had the same song, but a different version, off of Gulag Orkestar (which I briefly stole from a long chain of people which I believe began with Lily, correct me if I'm wrong). I knew it sounded familiar. It's no loss though- it's a great song, and I like this Lon Gisland version better anyway I think. It might be too soon to say.

Tunng has this great song "Bullets" that I was slightly obsessed with a for period of time. Highly recommended, along with these two songs I just bought. "Hustle" is a great monday morning song, too, in an energetic way. I have a playlist called "Monday Morning" and it's all perky happy music (which is generally the opposite of how I feel in the mornings) that puts me in a good mood before I get to school. This song is definitely going to be on that playlist.

And The XX was on Gossip Girl last night. This song Crystalised is the song that's playing when Serena and Nate disappear into the coat room. I was excited (because I like Serena and Nate, and I like The XX, and I like recognizing songs, so it was like a trifecta of making-clara-happy).

So that's what I did today.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: