3.18.2010

non-euclidian geometry and a hammer

Mr T is the art teacher for the younger grades, but more importantly, he's the yearbook supervisor. He and I are tight.

Me: Oh, I can't make it to the meeting that day. My friend from America is coming into town. Although if she wants to sleep for that first day, I could possibly come by... Probably not though.
Mr T: Or... you could use a hammer!

He was suggesting, I think, that I knock Daphna unconscious so that I'd be free to work on the yearbook. Priorities, guys.

I bought a capo today! Also I sang/played guitar in front of people, which is not something I do very often, and there was a long dramatic buildup, but it was fun.
(If you want to hear the song yourself, you can stalk me on youtube, but I'm not going to give you a link because that would be too easy. Figure something out.)

Tomorrow is the last ski day... And the last time fries and mayo will taste so good.
I am getting really fed up with the government not sending me my laptop. International shipping is not supposed to take this long, but apparently they've got twenty huge crates that are being held up for some reason.
Ugh.

I got home from school today and had dinner and hung out in my dad's office. He needed help with a math problem.
Or rather, he needed to know whether the shortest distance between Denver and Istanbul crossed over the Atlantic Ocean (for his crazy almanac competition thing). You had to find the coordinates of the cities in the almanac, and then think about non-euclidian geometry.
Fun fact that I learned today: The shortest distance between two points on a sphere is an arc; the arc is the intersection of the sphere and the plane that passes through the center of the sphere and the two points, such that the plane cuts the sphere in half.
So we had to find out whether that arc passed over the Atlantic or the Arctic ocean. It turned out sort of ambiguous anyway, because the midpoint is somewhere near Iceland, but it seemed Atlantic enough.
Anyway, that took a good hour of my evening.
So that's why I don't have a lot to say today. If that's any indication of how interesting my life is.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: