3.24.2010

wake up, wake up

Matt: What night are people going out this weekend?
Me: Saturday. It's going to be great.
Simone (who is a guy): [sung] wake up, wake up, on a saturday night
Emily and I: [laughter]
Me: That's a Hilary Duff song...

I love Simone. He's hilarious.
Talent show advertisement posters are going up tomorrow. I'll take pictures of the better ones and put them up here so that you can appropriately convey your support for my excellent graphic design skills (SPOILER: they include stick figures).

There is so much work that needs to be done by me. That sentence would have sounded a lot more eloquent in latin. Damn it, english language, why are you so hostile to the passive periphrastic?
(I love the passive periphrastic. Partially for the name, and partially for the way it allows me to convey my upcoming busy schedule without actually saying that "I" need to do anything. It's the work that needs to be done by me. Come on work. Get yourself done by me.)
(Did that last sentence sound weirdly sexual?)
(Maybe I just thought so?)
(This is embarrassing. Feel free to ignore these parenthetical bits)

Ironic funfact: On the May 08 German Ab Initio IB exam, one of the texts was on preparing for exams and reducing stress. I feel like if I had been taking the real exam, I'd be annoyed at that. Like, "Oh thanks, IB, you gave me this advice a little too late, and in the wrong language. Thanks a lot."

Me: You guys, text C is sort of ironic
Room: *continues to be silent*

I've been having a lot of quarrels with the english language recently, actually. Just today, Daphna was saying how she can't quite get used to me saying "y'all." I maintain that it's more efficient than "you guys" and more clear than "you." English really needs a designated word for the second-person-plural, and at the moment, "y'all" is all I have.
It's out of a respect for the finer points of language that I speak the way I do.
Or, sometimes, it's a "word-salad."

I discovered that term, "word-salad," while reading about schizophrenia for psychology. What was alarming was that some of the examples they gave were also examples of things I would say in real life.
I can't think of a good example right now, because I'm in writing-mode, which is one of my more coherent modes, but something will come to me soon enough.

Oh, today my shoe came off when I was walking to the tram. I was feeling so confident in my high-waisted skirt and then I walked along the old brick and my shoe got stuck and suddenly my foot was still going and my shoe was left behind and I was barefoot.
It was awkward.
However: I've realized that keeping this blog has taught me to laugh at myself. Or, maybe I always laughed at myself, but now I do so with enthusiasm and vigor and attention-whore-ness. That's cool too.

And speaking of cool things and awkward moments, click here for a funny story (that sounds alarmingly like something that would happen to me, if swiss guys were that creepy, because I'm definitely that friendly)!

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

Daphna said...

things i love about us can be summarized by this:

i totes started reading girl goes east as a result of the link from SP&A. i totes love it. it is most def on my favorites bar.

i tweeted about it, as well, to SP&A girl, who totally answered me.

i wanted to recommend it to you, but i figured you'd probably taken note, as well.

i read that story today, thought of you, and wanted to send it to you.

seeing as it's like, morning your time already, you had probably ALREADY READ IT by the time i had that thought.

also, it's likely that you knew or assumed most of the things in this long explanation.

THAT is why i love you. (did this make any sense?)

isabella said...

first off, yes i still read your blog

second off, check your facebook please please please