10.11.2010

fetishes...

This is another one of those blog posts that gets out of control because I haven't really done much in the past few days, and thus have very little source material.
I sure love three day weekends.

While I was doing all of this not-much this weekend, I happened to do my MCM reading (which isn't due until wednesday! I'm such an overachiever, guys!). It was wild.
I was reading a deep analysis of a shitty Nicholas Cage movie,* when I came across this passage:
... the camera suddenly embarks on what could only be called a wet dream of surveillant omniscience, craning up and over the walls of the hallway in an "impossible" shot that tracks across one room after another as if the ceiling had been lifted off, peering down into each until finally it locates the object of narrative desire.
So I'm pretty sure that this shot could indeed be called something else. A "fantastic illustration" of surveillant omniscience? A "prime example"?
Although, when you look at the rest of the language, I think this author just wanted to slip "wet dream" into his scholarly masterpiece.

*Okay, I haven't actually seen the film in question, but I really don't like Nicholas Cage. On that note, this author was obsessed with him. The article discussed five or six films, but the author only managed to name that one actor, who happened to be in two of them.
Seeing as everything is fetishistic in cinema anyways, I can't even make a Nicholas-Cage-fetish-joke. It wouldn't even work.

Me: Hah! You have a Nicholas Cage fetish, obviously!
Author: Are you referring to my inherent fetishistic scopophilia? Yes.
Me: ...

Love always,
Clara

No comments: