10.04.2010

peter pan owes me sixteen dollars

I saw The xx last night!
Naturally, because John and I are dysfunctional and Peter Pan is a douche and most strangers are friendly, it took us about three hours to get there (and we still didn't miss Intro!).

Allow me to explain/vent.

So John and I were supposed to take a 5:45 Peter Pan bus from Providence to Boston. It was supposed to get us to boston with plenty of time. I'll acknowledge that I did fall asleep in my room shortly before we were supposed to leave to get to the major providence bus stop, but we hauled ass and got to Kennedy Plaza at probably 5:42.
Which should have been great, but it turns out this bus leaves from Kennedy Plaza at 5:30, and leaves a different Providence area bus stop at 5:45. Peter Pan just decided that it would be better not to list the names of the stops on their tickets, and leave us to assume (with our impeccable utilization of Occam's Razor) that "Providence" means "That huge obvious bus terminal in central Providence". Which, of course, was incorrect.
John decided it would be a good idea to try to run to this other bus stop. That didn't work so well. We didn't even know where the other one was.

At this point we realized we had two options. Take a train, or take a taxi. I looked it up on my phone - train tickets seemed cheaper, and there was a train from Providence to Boston at 6:30, which would get us there around 7:30, when the show officially started. We wandered over to the train station and bought our tickets, annoyed by the situation in general, and sat down.

Oh, this whole time, I was carrying my dinner in a Ratty take out box. This is the point when I finally got to eat my goddamned grilled cheese.

So. It turns out our train is delayed by 25 minutes. At this point we'd googled it and established that The xx had two openers, so we were only a little worried. We saw people getting up and someone saying "this is the train to Boston," so we figured we were in business.
Not so much. Somehow we didn't realize that this was the commuter train? Although it essentially could not have been more obvious if it said "commuter" on the side? And didn't look like an amtrak train at all?
Luckily, we somehow got into a conversation with the guy sitting across from us, who filled us in to this glaringly obvious fact. At that point we saw our real train, for which we had tickets, pull into the station.

Me: Do you think that's it?
Guy: You want to make a run for it? I think you could make it.
Us: Let's go

I was literally pushing John into people trying to get off this train in an appropriately timely manner.
We sprinted.

And we made it! Finally! After that our transportation woes had basically ended, although the metro ticket machine in Boston gave John fifteen dollars worth in gold coins, which he seemed to think was a problem.
I like those.

Anyway, the concert was amazing, and taking the Peter Pan bus back was fairly uneventful.
Although it didn't fly.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: