6.13.2009

Loving the City

Eleni and I hung out in Dupont Circle today.
It is the best people-watching location I've ever encountered, if you don't mind the occasional naked bicyclist.

Frustratingly, we both hung out on opposite ends of the metro station for like, an hour before we realized the metro stop there has two exits. And she didn't have her phone, which was unfortunate.
While I was loitering in front of the "NO LOITERING" sign, a random man waved to me. Or, I suppose he waved to me while I was pretty obviously trying to make friends with a baby bird.
Being a generally friendly person, I waved back.
Real Conversation between myself and Creepy Man (CM)-
CM: Hi!
Me: Hi...
CM: What are you doing?
Me: *is flustered*
Me: *gesticulates awkwardly toward metro escalator*
Me: ... My friend...
CM: Want to sit down?
Me: No thanks
CM: I'll buy you an iced coffee! Let's talk!
Me: No thanks!

At that point I walked away and loitered out of his range of vision. I saw him a couple more times though, walking around that area. It was pretty awkward.

Then, at my transfer stop on the way home, I was standing on the escalator and there were like, four guys behind me who were probably not that much older than I, but quite intimidating DC people nonetheless. And I'm standing there on the escalator minding my own business, and I feel something like, touch my hair. Like, a hair-stroke. And I turn around and they are, no joke, giggling. And I give an exaggerated smiling eye-roll and luckily for me my train shows up at that very moment so I just think "train train train" and hurry on board.
I suppose if they giggle, they weren't that intimidating after all, but still. Creepiness has followed me everywhere today.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: