12.18.2009

the highlight of my morning

I went to Starbucks this morning. I sat down with my triple grande sugar-free vanilla soy latte and brushed my hair, in my mom's words, "like a homeless person."
I checked facebook on my phone and read textsfromlastnight. iPhones are great for wasting time by yourself at Starbucks.
The Starbucks is generally pretty empty in the morning, which is weird but also nice because there's never any line.
Anyway, I finish my latte and realize that it's time to start walking to the tram. It's more efficient, I've found, to go out the back door of the starbucks.
And so I'm listening to The Postal Service or something and I walk straight into the door frame. In my defense, both the door and the wall that it is attached to are glass, so I just didn't see it. The one other Starbucks customer who was sitting in the corner reading his paper grinned at me. All I could do was grin back.

Honestly, I love it when that kind of thing happens. I always sort of halfheartedly complain about my embarrassingly dysfunctional moments, but I want you all to know that for the most part, the times that I 'do weird things in public' are times that I relate most to the rest of the world, which is a good feeling. When the guy with the newspaper smiled at me, we had a moment of acknowledgement that life in general is kind of funny and embarrassing and unpredictable.
Or that's how I interpreted it.
It's like, 90% of the time when I'm out in public, I'm doing my best to act as normal as possible, so as to not make a fool of myself or make a scene or anything else that is generally considered undesirable. And we're all doing it, putting on our quiet normal faces to walk around among strangers, because the strangers are quiet and normal. But at those moments when the disguise falls off for a second, there's this forced recognition that we're all in this same dysfunctional boat, and there's no denying it. I feel refreshingly honest when I'm being unusual/dysfunctional.
Walking into door frames is not something that one does dishonestly. If you walk into door frames dishonestly then you need to reevaluate your life.

This all reminds me of a Harlem Shakes song.

I'm sick of thee sheep, I'm sick of thou shepherd
Sick of dressing like a human when I'm feeling like a leopard

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sick of dressing like a human when I'm feeling like a leopard"
That sounds like something a furry would say.

Just saying...

Daphna said...

love this. also, the brilliant use of that FABULOUS song that will always remind me of hair physics moments because of the leopard phrase.