12.25.2009

i have made a discovery

I know why I don't read. Aunt Sally just said something that made it very clear to me.

Shirley: Sally did you take a nap?
Sally: Well, you see, I sat down to read this book.
Me: Oh it's always when you sit down to read a book.
Sally: Yep! And I fell right asleep. And then I took a shower and I feel like a new person.

I don't read because whenever I open a book I take a nap, and I need naps because I am sleep deprived. It's easy to be on a computer when you're sleep deprived, because it's shining a light in your face. But a book doesn't scream at you; it doesn't demand to be read. So it's too easy to just let your eyes close.

I got a good number of books for christmas, so I'm going to have to figure out how to avoid this problem. Get more sleep? Maybe.

Or I could invent some device that shines a light in your face while you read.
You know, when I was little, I wanted to be an inventor like Stu Pickles on Rugrats. I had so many great ideas, of which I still remember none. What a shame. I'm sure all of my ideas were absolutely brilliant.
For some context, this was at about the age when I was pretty sure I was an alien.

King*: You have home insurance here, so if something gets stolen, they'll pay for it. Not that Christmas tree, because there wouldn't be much use for the tree after it was stolen, but say if your computer was taken, they could give you the money. And then your grandfather could have the $500 computer, and no one would have to know.
Me: Yep. Insurance fraud is fun.
King: Yeah... Don't try it though!

*King is my grandfather on my mom's side. He's the one who reminds me of Flava Flav sometimes. He's hilarious.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: