8.08.2008

College trip, part one

Hey! I'm back. Here are the first impressions:

Haverford is really pretty. Great campus. Apparently the food is not great. One issue: It's really close to Bryn Mawr, physically and in terms of sharing classes. Which is cool when it comes to taking more varied classes, but not so much when it's throwing off the ratio of guys to girl by a whole bunch. 
I like my ratios nice and even.
Anyway, besides that i liked it plenty.

Swarthmore also seems mad cool. Both schools were originally quaker, and that comes through a lot, particularly at Swarthmore. It's very non-competitive (they like to use the word 'collaborative' instead), but it's still intense academically. I'm a nerd. I like that.
Also, the first semester freshman year, all your courses are pass/fail. Required. Which is supposed to get you into the mindset of learning for learning's sake, which I'm all about.
Definitely giving that one another look later on, when there are actually students there...

Both are a 15-20 minute train ride from Philadelphia, which is a 2 hour tops train ride from home. Which makes random visits easy enough, but not *too* easy.

Now I have to pack for nantucket. Life is hard.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: