8.08.2008

Simultaneously hilarious and maybe smart

It's a guide for parents to learn to text, to increase the communication between parents and kids so that the kids are less likely to do drugs. Kind of makes sense, but I don't get the impression that whoever wrote this texts much him/herself. for example, if someone texted '143' to me, I would not realized that they loved me. I would think they were trying to be secretly cryptic and mysterious or something. Like, "oh, a mystery number". If someone sent me 'ily' on the other hand, I would be happy. Unless it were like, a creeper or something. You know what I mean.
On that note, I might mention that I would personally be freaked out if my parents were textually active. I told my mom once (a couple years ago) that I sent her a text message from camp, and she said, "In the mail?"
And until about a month ago, my dad wrote his text messages like letters or emails. as in, "Clara, please call me when you need me to pick you up. Love, Dad".
I don't expect much else from parents when it comes to technology. If that same text had said "idk when 2 pick up call 4 ride?" I would probably think my dad was on crack.
Some level of generational divide is probably necessary. IMHO (in my humble opinion [textspeak] [but not really. i never say it] [except just now]).

Love always,
Clara

No comments: