5.08.2009

College-ing

I'm at Swarthmore right now.
I must say, I had forgotten how much I liked this place.
I'm trying to figure out what to say, because I know I had something to say. It's infuriating when that happens.
I think I've just been doing so much sentence-composing that my writing capacity is fried. Today in the history AP, I wrote something like "In Kansas, with popular sovereignty, fought over slavery" and then realized that was definitely NOT a real sentence.
Not that I just gave anything away about the AP questions or answers or whatever. I swear. It was one stentence out of context and OH PLEASE COLLEGE BOARD DON'T DECEND ON MY HOME WITH YOUR HELICOPTERS.
So yeah.

I wrote them another letter today. It went something like this:
Dear College Board/ETS
I hope I did well on this test, but my friend pointed something out to me. Her logic is extraordinary. It goes like this: A lot of things happen in America. The important things that happen are on the AP US History exam. The AP US History exam will never be on the AP US History exam. Therefore, the AP US History exam is not important. She is very smart, and you should give us both 5s, but it's okay if you don't.
Cordially,
Clara

I didn't write "love always" because I've never loved the College Board and I probably never will. We have a mutual toleration I think.
You, on the other hand, blog world, I love. That was an anastrophe.

Today I had an argument with Sam because I tried to use an ablative absolute in english. It made perfect sense, if you think in latin.
That sentence above, the anastrophe, I did it on purpose. I wanted to build the suspense, saving the most important bit of the sentence for last. You can do that in latin. Not so much in english, without sounding like a lunatic.
What a shame.

I wonder how often I talk about latin in this lovely blog.
Probably, in proportion to my posts and in comparison to other blogs, pretty frequently.

There I go again, saving the point for the end of the sentence. My god.
Learn english, Clara.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: