5.19.2009

Student Government and my anger.

We just heard the speeches for Student Government candidates.
They were great. Similarly to the talent show, I found that I love people on stages.

But here is the problem.
Student Government doesn't do anything.
I don't blame Student Government. They can't do anything. They have no power.
For example, the case of the sophomore trip. Now, this is mostly anecdotal and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Marie and others pushed hard for a sophomore trip (which makes sense, since they're the only grade that doesn't have one now). These great student government kids contacted places, worked out funding, considered logistics, compromised with the idea of a lock-in, and basically put their hearts in this idea that isn't exactly outlandish. It's not like they were trying to "put soda in the water fountains" to quote Willie the freshman. And at the last minute, the administrators said "Nope, not happening, sorry".
What the heck?
I know I don't have all the answers, but this is how I think things should work. 
The American governmental system.
The administration is the executive branch. They have veto power and the ability to mandate things. They're typically the ones "with the power". That's alright. Every school needs its administrators, seeing as we spend most of our time learning and not administrating.
Then, the Student Government is congress. The legislative branch. They can propose ideas and pass them. They can overrule a veto with a 2/3 majority. They plan the budget (within reason. A lot of that goes to the board). They represent the people from specific parts of the student body (freshmen, sophomores, etc).
And the Disciplinary Committee is the Supreme Court. And I think disputes between the students and administration on things should go to the DC as well as rule-breaking-issues. Like the issue of junior driving when seniors are gone, for example. Let the DC moderate between the administration and the students.

We need to organize.

It really bothers me that our current Student Government clearly puts a lot of effort into their responsibilities (mostly) and are getting basically nothing out of it. Mr Y told me today that the Student Government is a 'representative body', not a 'legislative body'. They're like Elanor Holmes Norton. They can talk, kind of, but they have no vote. Actually, at least the DC Congresswoman-ish-thing has opportunities to speak. Student Government seems to lurk in the shadows.
My god.

So students, assemble! Cast off your shackles! Speak loudly! Approach the powers that be! Make yourselves known! Refuse to be silenced!

Love always,
Clara

P.S. Love Always Clara officially endorses Grace and Marie. I don't feel at liberty to endorse anyone from my own grade, seeing as I'm not even sure who I'm going to vote for. I love all of us too much, and I fear there's nothing we can do anyways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Student government? If you want students to have any power in anything, protest. REAL protests. Not hold stupid "this should go on my college application despite the fact that my rich capitalist parents can pay my way into anywhere i wanna go" supposed election (which is a farce). And everyone knows SGA has no control. C'mon now.

ps. You should know who this is.