9.05.2009

Quick update

I was sick yesterday, and it sucked. But now I feel better.
Last night I was feeling okay-ish so I decided to go out with people, but it was kind of stupid and rainy and so I went home after like an hour, and then I had to walk home in the rain all by myself, and it was a sad state of affairs. But then once I got past the gate a guard came out to meet me with an umbrella and I remembered why I like it here.

Now my dad is sick (after playing golf in the rain, and being in a house with germs flying around). I told him that what I did to get better was sleep a lot and bother mom. Both seemed to help.

This morning mom and I went out and sat at a little cafe by the clocktower and ate pastries and drank coffee like real european people. The clocktower is funny because it's just what you would stereotypically expect from Switzerland. On the hour the bell rings and there's this little king and he shakes his head and the bears run around. Like a cuckoo clock. But huge. No joke.

I've found a new use for my driving mixes (which of course I brought with me). We have a 5-CD stereo system that goes to the whole first floor. And right now, the whole first floor is playing 'Summertime' by Sublime, which was on my driving mix sometime in April or May or something. I remember having quite a nervous breakdown to this CD.
My god, I was a mess this spring/summer, but I think I enjoyed it more than any other season. It was when I figured out the best way to deal with stress was to be irrational and emotional and irresponsible in a fun way, as opposed to a secret-emochild way. Which, I'll admit, had been my modus operandi for quite a while. Which is weird and feels counter-intuitive, seeing as I spend so much time smiling, and so little time actually angry, even when I should be.
I think I'm getting over that. I need to have my healthy dose of outrage every once in a while.

Speaking of outrage, I read this awesome article in the International Herald-Tribune about the lack of playtime for kids these days, as opposed to twenty years ago, and how it's terrible for society and all. I agree. I don't think kids should have daily homework, especially before seventh grade. Projects, sure. Those are kind of fun anyway. But not the spelling-sentences-math-worksheet hell that sucks the soul out of children.
And I also think we should kick kids off their xboxes. Sorry but they need to go outside every once in a while. I think it's a fair trade- homework for video games. Yes, I'm speaking as a kid who you couldn't drag off of The Sims or Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, but I look most fondly on the afternoons spent at the Lee St. park.

This is lengthier than I thought it would be. Maybe it's because I'm listening to music and not really editing myself. Hm.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: