9.24.2009

Turns out...

I was bleeding.
Went to the nurse. Or sort of. She's more of a receptionist and I doubt she has any medical training but she had me lie down with an ice pack and she sprayed some disinfectant stuff on my head. Sweet.
I lay down for about an hour and people came and went. Mr T, the yearbook guy and other art teacher, who is Chinese and also completely insane, came in to say hello.

Mr T: WHAT HAPPENED???!
Me: There was a cupboard, not unlike that one up there, and I dropped something, and then I stood up, and [I gesticulate]
Mr T: Oh no! That kind of thing happens to me all the time!
Me: Me too!

So he left and then he came back. And he had this little piece of chocolate and he told me it was from one of the best small chocolate factories in Switzerland, and it was really good.

Mom doesn't want me to fall asleep. Still fears of concussion. I am not sure and thus I am going to look up 'concussion' on wikipedia.

Physical

Headache is the most common MTBI symptom.[18] Other symptoms include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, difficulty balancing,[18] or other problems with movement or sensation.

Hm. Headache? Check. Dizziness? Check. Vomiting? No, thank goodness. Nausea however? Yep. Also the movement problems. Walking to the tram I had to run my fingers along the fence to stay in a straight line, and this was a couple hours after the impact.

Cognitive and emotional

Cognitive symptoms include confusion, disorientation, and difficulty focusing attention. Loss of consciousness may occur but is not necessarily correlated with the severity of the concussion if it is brief

... What was I doing here again?
Well, I didn't lose consciousness. That's a good thing. No amnesia either. That means that according to the Colorado Medical Society guidelines, mine is only a Grade I concussion. (Although according to the American Academy of Neurology guidelines, it's Grade II. Whatever. It's only Grade II because symptoms are lasting more than fifteen minutes. If it's less than fifteen minutes, it's just a bump on the head).

Speaking of cognitive confusion,
Patients may be released from the hospital to the care of a trusted person with orders to return if they display worsening symptoms[8] or those which might indicate an emergent condition, like unconsciousness or altered mental status; convulsions; severe, persistent headache; extremity weakness; vomiting; or new bleeding or deafness in either or both ears.
When I first read that bit (under 'Treatment'), I thought "mental status" said "marital status". As in, "If you get married while under the symptoms of a concussion, we will want to hold you at the hospital until you've un-confused yourself, because you definitely don't want to be married. Same goes for divorce. Nobody gets divorced with a concussion"
I thought that was funny.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: