2.18.2010

awkward walk-by

This happened to me yesterday.
I was walking with my mom around town. We were hungry. We were looking for lunch. And I see Connor, a freshman at ISBerne whom I'm acquainted with, but I wouldn't say we're best friends or anything.
This is basically what happened:
  1. We see each other (walking toward each other on the sidewalk)
  2. I wave.
  3. He says hi. I say hi.
  4. He asks how I am. I say fine and ask the same.
  5. We are still walking in our original directions.
  6. I cannot hear him answer because I've walked away.
It was really awkward. But it was the sort of thing where I had two options.
  1. Keep walking (as I did)
  2. Stop and try to have a conversation.
The thing is, had either of us stopped, we would have been in the middle of a pretty busy sidewalk, and we wouldn't really have had anything more to say besides "Hey, how are you, fine thanks," etc etc. And then after about five seconds the mutual discomfort would get overwhelming and we'd have a really awkward "well.. see you monday I guess" (shouted over the noise of the city, obvi) and we'd go our separate ways again.

So what was I supposed to do?! What's the right choice?!
Inevitable awkwardness.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: