2.24.2010

stress is lame.

While studying the eating behavior of San Francisco Junior League women and their husbands, Friedman and Rosenman discovered that the women consumed as much cholesterol and fat as their husbands did, yet they were far less susceptible to heart disease. . . . The Junior League president thought she knew the answer: "It's the stress they have to face in their businesses, day in, day out," she said sadly. "Why, when my husband comes home at night, it takes at least one martini just to unclench his jaws."
Note to self: Move to San Francisco, join Junior League. I wish it were still okay for women to not-have-stress.
That sounds like a terrible postfeminist the-handmaid's-tale thing to say, but isn't anyone tempted to spend their adulthoods making cookies and serving tea?
Not that I'm against having a career. Careers are nice. But they're stressful. And I don't want to be stressed out my whole life.

I wonder how those men felt though, thinking that they had to be the stressed ones because their wives were too frail/stupid/whatever-fueled-sexism-those-days. If I'd been a working man in the 1950s, I would have been jealous of my wife.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Blue Disastrous said...

Finally someone agrees that being a housewife would be better than being all stressed at a normal job!