2.01.2010

das* haus ist eine polizei-staadt

We're practicing oral exams in German, now that the mock written exams are done with.
The oral for Ab Initio (otherwise known as idiot-german, otherwise known as my class) is to tell a 3-minute story about a picture. You have to use all of the tenses and appropriate grammar and complex sentence structure and the like, which means the story needs to be vaguely interesting.
(Related: I like being a show-off in German)
The picture I had to talk about was of a family in a kitchen. The father was coming in from playing golf and the mother was baking things and the daughters were ironing and doing dishes, and the son was writing something.
I turned it into a crazy horror story of a family in dysfunction. The father was a business mogul who firmly believed that women ought to stay in the kitchen. The wife wanted to start a bakery, but it was forbidden. The older daughter had a boyfriend, whom she was going to sneak out to see at eleven (future tense!). The younger daughter wanted to set the house on fire. It was madness.

Herr M: [Laughs] Okay... any comments? Tips?
Boyuan: She talked a lot.
Herr M: Yeah, she tends to do that.

Um... thanks.
Now he's probably reporting my family to the authorities. I'll be in foster care by the end of the week.

Victoria comes today. Or rather, she's already here, but I'm at school, so I haven't seen her yet.

*Edit: This post was originally entitled "der haus ist eine polezei-staadt." A reader pointed out that I even got that sentence wrong. Houses are not masculine or feminine. Obviously, a house would be neuter. Which means the pronoun would be "Das."
I mean, clearly.
I really need to get better at this language.

Love always,
Clara

2 comments:

inkprincess said...

It's 'Das Haus', by the way :D

clara said...

hahahaha wow thank you. See the note above about being in idiot-german-class. I barely pretend to know the genders.